MGO Strategic Staffing has an immediate opportunity for an Accountant for our client in San Carlos, CA. This is a 3-6 month contract position. In this position, The Accountant reports to a Finance Manager in the Treasury Department, and will perform a variety of professional level accounting activities within the Finance Division in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB). Excel, and Word, Testing Required
Examples of Essential Functions:
- Review, update, and maintain accurate accounting records.
- Interpret and apply accounting rules and regulations (GASB, GAAP, grantor’s contract/agreement terms, etc.) on a variety of accounting activities (e.g. billing funding agencies).
- Interact with external funding agencies as well as internal departments [i.e. Grants, Budgets, Project Controls, accounts payable (A/P), accounts receivable (A/R), and general ledger (GL)].
- Analyze accounting data to identify variances, trends, exceptions, and discrepancies; initiate corrective journal entries or voucher adjustments.
- Perform account and fund reconciliations and G/L journal entries.
- Process A/R and A/PI have at transactions.
Examples of Duties:
- Responsibilities include managing District funds, overseeing the allocation of cash balances, loans, disbursements, and investments.
- Reviews forecasted balances, examining and correcting any shortages or overages.
- Submit monthly claims (billing) for reimbursements.
- Monitor budgets by individual projects; track and analyze expenditures to ensure they are recorded appropriately.
- Assist with various accounting audits by preparing audit schedules and reconciliations.
- Review, analyze, verify and/or reconcile revenue, expenses, fixed asset details, A/R, A/P, deferred revenue, and member agency contribution accounts, in the general ledger.
- Prepare and maintain documentation needed to support grants and projects, and for periodic audits (e.g. financial statements, reports, monthly billing to federal, state, and other local agencies).
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Three years of full-time accounting experience.
- Must have experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning system (e.g. PeopleSoft, SAP, Oracle); experience with PeopleSoft is desirable.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, with advance-level Excel preferred.
- Must possess effective oral and written communication skills.
For immediate consideration, apply here.
MGO Strategic Staffing is a highly respected professional services firm that specializes in placing accounting, finance, information technology (IT) and human resources personnel. Our reputation is based on integrity and proven performance. We have been in business for over sixteen years and have provided interim staffing and consulting services to a wide variety of local and state agencies and numerous corporate clients.